Questions to Ask a Pest Control Company
We’ve all been there. You’re in the middle of dinner when the doorbell rings. It’s another salesperson promoting their pest control services. They want to help you get rid of outdoor bugs like wasps and mosquitos, and indoor pests like mice. You may feel annoyed at the interruption, but at the same time, you understand they’re simply trying to support their business. So, what should you ask if a salesperson knocks on your door offering pest control services?
It can feel awkward to ask questions in person. But don’t worry. An experienced professional will be happy to answer any concerns you have. In fact, their answers will help set a reputable company apart from the rest! If you can’t get the information during an in-person conversation, ask for a business card so you can research the company at a more convenient time.
Top Ten questions to consider when selecting pest control services:
- Is your company licensed to operate in my city?
- How long have you been in business?
- Is the salesperson licensed? Will the work be performed by licensed technicians? Minnesota law requires outdoor salespeople to be licensed by the MDA with a structural pest applicator’s license, even if they are selling products and not performing the service.
- Are you fully bonded and insured?
- Can you describe how you prevent future pests?
- May I see references from customers in my local area?
- Do your pest technicians specialize in pest control, or do they perform other services such as lawn care?
- May I see the labels for the products you will be using and their application rates?
- What is included in your initial consultation?
- Can I get back to you after I’ve had time to consider your offer? If you feel pressured to buy a service, or to continue the conversation longer than you would like, that’s a red flag. A reputable company trusts that the services they offer will attract loyal customers without being pushy.
What else should I consider when selecting pest control services in the Minneapolis & St. Paul area?
Knowledge and Training
Some exterminators seem to offer every service imaginable—lawn, tree, shrub, mosquito control, fertilizer, weed control, and more. As a homeowner, you may feel like a Jack or Jill of all trades, but you don’t need to settle for that approach when hiring a professional. Experience the difference an expert makes.
Better Business Bureau (BBB) Ratings
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is dedicated to helping consumers find trustworthy businesses and charities. They verify complaints before publishing them, so the reviews you read on their website are legitimate. Companies cannot earn the highest A+ rating until they have maintained positive ratings for a long enough period of time.
What do your neighbors or local referral websites say about the company? Did they honor guarantees? Was the service delivered as expected and in a satisfactory way? Was the billing as expected?
Beware of warranty offers and long-term contracts if the company does not have a long history in your area. A warranty might look good on paper, but unfortunately, that doesn’t guarantee it will be honored. Even a well-intentioned company can’t honor an agreement if they go out of business or leave your service area.
We’re proud to be under the umbrella of Rainbow Companies, a Minnesota-based business offering several specialized brands. Each brand shares Rainbow’s commitment to leading the green industry with outstanding service and science-backed practices. But that’s where the overlap stops. Rainbow employs highly skilled teams dedicated to staying on the cutting edge in their area of expertise. From our customer service representatives to our field technicians, Rainbow Pest Experts team members are licensed, dedicated, and receive additional training in pest control.
Schedule your pest prevention consultation today!
We start by inspecting your property to identify the best pest control solutions. All of our findings will be explained in detail so that you understand why our approach will solve the pest problem before we begin. Our experts take pride in doing pest control better than anyone else in the Twin Cities!
Other items you may be interested in:
It seems to happen every spring across the Minneapolis and St. Paul area. You may see one lone ant, and then seemingly overnight, there’s an